History & Associations
Situated across from pristine Pleasant Lake and across from majestic Mount Kearsarge is the Inn at Pleasant Lake. The structure’s humble beginnings started in 1790 by Caleb Segur. He farmed over 400 acres of pasturelands in the lake valley. It was here, close to the shores of Pleasant Lake where he built his Cape style farmhouse and barn.
The property was later purchased in 1878 by retired Union officer Colonel William Messer. He added a second story and a row of deep gables and named his summer resort The Red Gables Inn. It remained so for over 100 years. The tradition of hospitality continues today at the Inn at Pleasant Lake. The gables, the lake, and the views remain, waiting to welcome you.
The Inn at Pleasant Lake has ten well-appointed guest rooms, each with a private bath, and three common rooms. Guests have access to our private beach on Pleasant Lake as well as our workout facility behind the Inn.
“Delightful in all respects. The perfect place to be when traveling.”
~ Rosalind, Durham, N.C.