There are few traditions in New England as rooted and authentic as maple sugaring. The quaint mystique of the sugar shacks. The inherent dependence on and reverence for Mother Nature. The annual traditions that are so unique to each maple farm. The artistry of process and local recipes that go into the quality and lure of each end product. It is no wonder there is such broad appeal for the adventure of touring New Hampshire’s maple sugar farms.
It seems most folks in New Hampshire either boil themselves or know someone who does. My Aunt Minnie and Uncle Butch run Royal’s Maple Sugar Shack, and they were the first to give us the appreciation for what a fun tradition Sugaring can be. Memories of maple sap snow-cones and maple steamed hot dogs are my favorite, and I love how Uncle Butch tracks the yearly yield by carving the result in the back of the sugar shack door. That’s living history New England style! (Photos courtesy of Aunt Minnie.)
At the Inn at Pleasant Lake, we specialize in unique and unforgettable experiences. Given our roots, it’s only natural we would apply our craft to maple sugaring and that we’d have a working maple tree farm right on the property! At the Inn, we combine a classic sugar tour with a top rated culinary experience to produce the complete life cycle from Tree to Table. From our tree farm to the sugar shack, to the top rated kitchen, to your fine dining experience, you can experience it all, along with our warm hospitality, at the Inn at Pleasant Lake. Check out this unique package offering on our website.
- Arrive at the inn (checkin is at 3:00PM) and settle into your room after your personalized introduction to the property.
- Relax with a coffee or your favorite bottle of wine while taking in the incredible views.
- Take a stroll down to the beach or take a walk around the lake. If you’re feeling adventurous, snowshoe along one of the local trails while the sunlight lasts.
- Review your itinerary for the next day while dining at one of our local pubs.
- After our hearty country breakfast, suit up for the on-property tour of our Maple Stand.
- Learn about tree variation, sap production, sustainable tapping and sap collection.
- Head into town for lunch and check out Main Street and the local shops.
- In the afternoon, head over to the Sugar Shack for a full tour. This is sap from our trees!
- Back to the IPL kitchen to join Chef Bryan Leary for a backstage cooking demonstration of recipes highlighting the maple syrup you just saw produced. Chef specializes in farm-to-table dishes and you will find his creativity inspiring.
- Rejuvenate with our afternoon tea in the sunroom while gazing at Mt. Kearsarge.
- Join us for our signature gourmet five-course dinner and experience the end result of the Tree-to-Table life cycle. The table is yours for the night.
- Linger with our hearty breakfast this morning and enjoy our New England tradition of Pancakes or French Toast with the maple syrup you saw produced yesterday.
- Checkout is 11:00AM, but don’t let the fun end there.
- Stop off at one of our recommended farms to see how their traditions compare!
- Don’t forget to pick up a bottle of your favorite blend before you head home.
Here are some great Sugaring resources to consider for your adventure: